The Harry Potter movies are a multi-billion dollar grossing franchise based on the Harry Potter books written by the highly-successful author, J. K. Rowling. The films were released chronologically, (as was also the case with the books), and the sequence begins with Harry's early life and ends during the first years of his adulthood. The last novel in the series was made into two films due to its dense plot.
The Harry Potter Film Sequence In Order
1. Harry Potter And The Philosopher’s Stone (2001, Chris Columbus) – In keeping with the novel’s release title in the United States and India, this film was released as Harry Potter And The Sorcerer’s Stone in both countries.
2. Harry Potter And The Chamber of Secrets (2002, Chris Columbus)
3. Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban (2004, Alfonso Cuarón)
4. Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire (2005, Mike Newell)
5. Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix (2007, David Yates)
6. Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince (2009, David Yates)
7. Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows – Part 1 (2010, David Yates)
8. Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows – Part 2 (2011, David Yates)In order of publication the Harry Potter books are: Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, the Prisoner of Azkaban, the Goblet of Fire, the Order of the Phoenix, the Half-Blood Prince and the Deathly Hallows. The last movie to be released this year is the second part of the final book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
The first Harry Potter book was published in 1997 by British author J. K. Rowling. Ever since the world has been captivated by the adventures of famous wizard Harry Potter and his friends Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger. Within a decade of the first book being published the series had sold over 400 million copies and translations made into over 67 languages. The last four books each set their own records consecutively as the fastest selling books of all time.
After the huge success of the books, in 1998 Rowling sold the film rights of the series to Warner Brothers. The first book, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, was released as a film in 2001 and within three days of the film’s release work started on the second. Ten years down the line, the very last movie is due to release in July 2011 and is expected to be one of the most anticipated and popular films of the decade.
With films now released of every book there is still no stopping the Harry Potter brand. Video games have been produced by EA Games to coincide with the release of each film and contain a mix of stories and scenery from the books and movies. Most recently in June 2010, Warner Brothers opened the ‘Wizard World of Harry Potter’ within the Universal Orlando Resort in Florida.