In a sense, Fury is based on a true story, but not an individual one. In fact, Fury was created from a collection of true stories provided by military veterans, and was compiled to make one film.
It's important to note, however, that many films claim to be "based on a true story".
Take horror films, for example.
What's scarier - a film about an axe wielding maniac that is a fabrication of the writer's imagination, or a film about an axe wielding maniac that's based on real life events? I'd certainly go with the latter.
Interesting facts about Fury
- Outfits within the films were inspired by museum exhibits of real life uniforms.
- Shia Labeouf pulled out his own tooth, and didn't shower for the entire filming schedule.
- The cast had to undergo a month's worth of boot camp training prior to filming.
- The cut on Bible's face is real. Shia Labeouf cut himself on purpose to bring a sense of realism to the film.
- Brad Pitt has now been involved in three WW2 films. The first two were Inglorious Basterds and Seven Years in Tibet.
Here's the official trailer for Fury: